Our Main Environmental Impacts
We’ve identified 4 main ways that First Light Festival impacts out environment:
– Energy use and carbon emissions
– Staff, contractor, artist and audience travel: fuel use and carbon emissions.
– Waste and litter
Our intentions over the next 5 years to minimise these impacts include:
– To comply with the requirements of environmental legislation and approved codes of practice
– To assess the environmental impact of current and likely future operations
– To continuously seek to improve environmental performance
– To reduce impacts from pollution, emissions and waste
– To ‘green’ our programming, production and procurement
– To encourage more sustainable forms of transport
– To sustainably manage the use of all resources, energy, water and procurement
– To aim to reduce energy use and related emissions.
– To raise awareness and encourage participation in environmental matters
– To expect similar environmental standards from all suppliers and contractors
– To assist performers and festival-goers to participate in the festivals in an environmentally-sensitive way
– To monitor key items (waste/ power use/car parking) and review our environmental performance annually
– Nominated green champion responsible for keeping up to date with latest practice and communicating these to wider team to support them with making environmentally sustainable decisions.
– The board of Directors will endorse this policy to demonstrate the festival’s commitment.
Alongside these wider aims, we’ll target 5 main strands of our work with dedicated action plans. These identified strands are Programming, Transport, Production, Communications, Traders and Resources.